Types of Advertising in E-commerce
24 December 2013 Leave a comment
The emergence and further quick development of Internet created sufficient platform for breakthrough in the development of informational technology, marketing and, in particular, advertising communications. So now Internet turned into effective instrument of business, new and very powerful channel for distribution of great amount of advertisements. That is why during 2000 different companies spend about $5 billion for online advertising.
So this sum of money proves us that advertising in Internet now is very popular and effective. But what is it? And what kind of benefits has online advertising in comparison with TV, radio, press and billboard advertising?
First of all, I would like to draw your attention to the fact, that online advertising is a comparatively new type of advertising. And every new thing always arouses our interest and makes us observe it more closely. So, maybe, that is the main secret of its success. This type of advertising isn’t so bright, so it does not hit you in the eye, as billboard advertising does; it is not so boring and bothering, as television advertising and so irritating, as radio one. So that is why online advertising has good chances to win the sympathy of internet users.
And now let’s speak about different types of online advertising. There are four main types of internet advertising. They are:
So we identified the main types of online advertising. And now let’s say a few words about each of them. And we will start from the most important, effective and, at the same time, complicated one: display advertising. Here we can identify two main types, that is:
- Text ads. These ads display text-based hyperlinks. Text-based ads may display separately from web page’s primary content, or they can be embedded by hyperlinking individual words or phrases to advertiser’s websites
- Web banners or banner ads. These are ads, which typically displayed within a web page
- Frame ad or traditional banner is a small online advertisement, which is intended to attract traffic to a website by linking to the website of the advertiser
- Pop-ups and pop-unders ads are displayed a new web browser window that opens above or under a website visitor’s initial browser window
- A floating or overlay ad is a type of rich media advertisement that appears superimposed over the requested website’s content. Such ads may disappear or became less prominent after a present time period
- An expanding ad is a rich media frame ad that changes dimensions upon a predefined condition, such as a preset amount of time a visitor spends on a web page, the user’s click on the ad, or the user’s mouse movement over the ad
- A trick banner is a banner ad where the ad copy imitates some screen element users commonly encounter, such as an operating system message or popular application message, to induce ad clicks
- An interstitial ad displays before a user can access requested content, sometimes while the user is waiting for the content to load
And now let’s move to other types of online advertising.
- Social media marketing is commercial promotion conducted through social media websites
- Mobile advertising is ad copy delivered through wireless mobile devices such as smartphones, feature phones, or tablet computers
- Email advertising is ad copy comprising an entire email or portion of an email message
So now, after you’ve got short, but very necessary information about the most widely used types of online advertising, you can choose one or, even, combination of types, which will improve you sale and increase amount of visitors of you website. So, good luck!